Helmore & Hunt Name
VU Bar Meter VU Bar Meter VU Bar Meter VU Bar Meter VU Bar Meter VU Bar Meter VU Bar Meter VU Bar Meter VU Bar Meter VU Bar Meter VU Bar Meter
Follow HelmoreAndHunt on Twitter
Welcome history
Founded 1927 Growth 1930s World War II 1940s 1950s Age of TV 1960s Solid State Age 1970s Maturity 1980s Hibernation 1990s Reawakening 2000 - A New Millenium
198 Newfoundland Road Shop in 1979 As the 1970's dawned, plans were afoot for the construction of the M32 motorway into Central Bristol - and its route was to be along that of Newfoundland Road. The inevitable demolition order arrived early and it looked like it would be the end for Helmore & Hunt's final shop. After 48 years of trading, Len and Ted were now in their seventies - yet still they hung on, driving in every day to open up shop, as the premises surrounding them were closed and owners moved away.
The old chaps played every game possible with Bristol City Council and their lawyers, to keep their cherished business alive for as long as they could, resulting in all but the next door premises either side being demolished. Still they soldiered on ...
They were of course resigned to the fact the old shop was eventually going to go and the bitter end finally came in 1979, when they hung up the "Closed" sign for the very last time. Or so they thought ...